Thursday, October 7, 2010

Aware and Dramatic

Kate has changed so much in the last week. The cold seems to be on the way out, but she gave it to mommy. I'll take that trade any day!

As you saw on the other posts from this week she started smiling regularly. Before now we would get a one-off smile here and there...but yesterday she started smiling like crazy. it melts my heart!! She is one cutie pie!! Hopefully the good mood from yesterday will become an everyday thing.

The other main change to Katelyn is that she is suddenly aware of her surroundings and that her cries mean more attention from Mommy and Daddy. Katelyn has two cries: 1) I'm really hungry or pissed off and I'm letting you know and 2) I'm maybe getting upset but really I just want mommy or daddy to pay me more attention

Exhibit A: When we put her down for bed she'll cry (cry #2), then we'll walk into her nursery and she'll stop

Exhibit B: when she's playing on the mat and mommy is in the kitchen or laundry room she'll cry (cry #2) and when I come in because she's crying she'll stop when we make eye contact.

Is this normal this early? She's 7 weeks today. Does this mean we already have an aware baby that will cry just for attention? We're suckers...and it's working. When we put her to bed we give her 5 minutes to see if she'll stop crying on her own. Do we need to let her cry it out this early? Last night scott went up and ended up rocking her to sleep, which does NOT need to become habit.

Scott and I have also decided Katelyn will be dramatic. The only reason is how dramatic she is with her "I just woke up" stretches, how over the top excited she gets when her mouth gets wiped clean after eating and some of her hand movements. Many times her arms end up over her face like a southern dame who is in desparate need of shade, you know the "whoa is me" look. I'll see if I can snap a pic of it.

1 comment:

  1. Happy 7 weeks Baby Katelyn!!! I can't believe you have your parents so whipped already; okay, yes I can. You are too cute. Be sure and giggle the next time you get your way. Then they'll know for sure that you're a drama mama. :) xo-S

    ReplyDelete